Superintendent – Ontario / Northern Canada
Milestone is looking for creative people who enjoy a challenge. We provide contracting excellence to our clients, daring them to let us collaborate on their toughest and most sensitive projects across Canada. Specializing in soil and ground remediation, water treatment, heavy civil construction, building decommissioning, land reclamation and rehabilitating sensitive habitats; our people thrive in a fast paced and everchanging environment. Everyone on our team believes in finding creative solutions for our clients while making a positive impact to our environment and community. This can be a tough job and isn’t for everyone. Milestone is up to the challenge, are you?
Milestone’s success comes from putting our team first. We are employee-owned and commit to keeping our people safe, offering competitive wages and benefits, and providing opportunity for professional growth and development. Putting our people first is a promise we have been able to deliver on for over 10 years and we continue growing stronger. If you think you are a fit, then we want you to grow with us.
This is a full-time position, reporting directly to the General Superintendent, The Site Superintendent is directly responsible for managing all site activities performed on their designated project. Oversight should ensure that projects are completed safely, within schedule, and on budget.
Successful applicants will be able to foster a collaborative, problem solving work environment, able to manage the variability posed by our challenging worksites.
- Reads, understands, and follows Milestone’s Corporate Health and Safety Program, Policy and Procedures
- Have a working knowledge of Ministry of Labour rules and regulations
- Communicate effectively with Milestone’s safety department and disseminate pertinent safety information to the project team and subcontractors
- Reads and understands the project scope, project control estimate and client contract
- Reviews and understands project related subcontracts
- Communicates and tracks any changes to project scope, requests for additional work, client contract or subcontracts to PM
- Review and understanding of relevant project specification and drawings
- Participate in the development of site specific workplans and schedules, communicating that information to the onsite team
- Implement site specific workplans and continually audit their effectiveness against project specifications to ensure quality and accuracy of work completed
- Provide daily updates on progress to Project Manager
- Maintain and update project schedule as required
- Majority of time will be on project sites; out of town travel will be required
- Shift duration and frequency is variable and dependent on project and client requirements Shifts can include weekends and holidays. Work hours can be long and will vary, multiple 12hr+ days in a shift are not uncommon
Health and Safety
- Reads, understands and follows MECI’s Corporate Health and Safety Program, Policy and Procedures. Ensures health and safety is considered in the performance of all activities both on and off the job. Participation in H & S initiatives will be monitored and reviewed as necessary.
- Grade 12 diploma or equivalent
- Civil/Environmental Engineering Degree or Civil Engineering Technologist or Technician Diploma and/or equivalent field experience is an asset.
- Any equivalent combination of education and/or experiences from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Minimum 5 years supervisory experience in environmental or civil construction
- Any related construction industry experience in landscaping, earth works, mining, road building, water treatment or demolition an asset
- Experience operating heavy equipment an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Team player with strong communication skills both written and verbal.
- Disciplined, motivated self-starter capable of high performance with minimal supervision.
- Excellent planning and organization skills
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment with attention to detail.
- Able to understand and prioritize requests.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all types of weather.
- Intermediate computer skills (MS Excel, MS Word, MS Office)
- Ability to interpret and read engineering drawings / specifications.
- Onsite work environment is outdoors and subject to all weather conditions. Must be willing to travel anywhere in ON as well as on rotation in Northern Canada. Shift duration and frequency is variable and dependent on project and client requirements. Shifts can include weekends and holidays.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Please send your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.