Health and Safety Advisor – ON
Milestone is looking for creative people who enjoy a challenge. We provide contracting excellence to our clients, daring them to let us collaborate on their toughest and most sensitive projects across Canada. Specializing in soil and ground remediation, water treatment, heavy civil construction, building decommissioning, land reclamation and rehabilitating sensitive habitats; our people thrive in a fast paced and everchanging environment. Everyone on our team believes in finding creative solutions for our clients while making a positive impact to our environment and community. This can be a tough job and isn’t for everyone. Milestone is up to the challenge, are you?
Milestone’s success comes from putting our team first. We are employee-owned and commit to keeping our people safe, offering competitive wages and benefits, and providing opportunity for professional growth and development. Putting our people first is a promise we have been able to deliver on for over 10 years and we continue growing stronger. If you think you are a fit, then we want you to grow with us.
The Health and Safety Advisor provides support in managing and maintaining the Health, Safety, and Environment (HSE) systems, maintaining of the training program, developing safety policies and procedures, being involved in site safety, coordinating and leading audits and inspections, tracking corrective actions and incident data, reviewing important safety documents, and other duties as required. A successful Health and Safety Advisor is organized, flexible, attentive, and shows exceptional attention to detail.
Reporting directly to the Director of Administration, this role will be required to take direction and seek input from several managers, project managers, and other Milestone staff members.
Act as a leader in HSE and be seen as the point person for assigned HSE programs and initiatives. Use safety management tools to monitor working hours, incidents, near misses and other tracked data for reporting. Report and escalate to management as needed. Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation, plans, and statistics reports.
Demonstrate a sense of urgency and strong commitment to achieving goals and objectives. Focused on details, highly organized and works effectively with shifting priorities and rapid change. Effectively examines events, issues, and problems to generate optimal solutions in a timely manner and contributes to a positive health & safety culture throughout the organization.
Communicate with impact and create an environment in which people communicate openly and honestly. Foster teamwork, collaboration, and cooperation with a strong ability to work with a highly functional team.
Have in-depth knowledge of provincial health and safety legislation, standards and best practices, and a demonstrated passion and commitment to being a safety leader and holding others accountable to the highest level of safety standards.
- Periodically evaluate jobsite, equipment, and practices to ensure compliance with safety standards
- Lead the development of the safety training program in updating, creating, organizing, and record/recertification
- Lead the maintenance of the Site Safety Plans
- Lead HSE Pre-Qualification Questionnaires
- Lead Subcontractor Management program
- Assist Project Managers in development of project HSE plans.
- Provide support to the oversight and guidance of HSE program with Regional Managers and General Superintendents.
- Assist in Root Cause Analysis process (RCA). Perform the investigation with the support of project leadership and share the learnings amongst Advisian staff.
- Review and maintain the emergency response plans and procedures
- Develop materials for and conduct new employee health and safety orientations
- Support as required HSE related concerns to inspect to ensure compliance with legislations and regulations
- Support and document accident investigations, determine cause and implement corrective actions, track, and trend incidents
- Manage PPE inspection and maintenance program.
- Institute control measures for working with hazardous or potentially hazardous materials
- Scan and attach documents into Job specific folders
- Spreadsheet development / data entry
- Forms management
- Safety Systems management /administration
- Tabulate safety data and gather statistics for further analysis of trends.
- Demonstrate Milestone’s core values and a positive and caring safety culture.
- Demonstrate leadership and commitment to the HSE program and processes.
Health and Safety
- Reads, understands, and follows MECI’s Corporate Health and Safety Program, Policy, and Procedures. Ensures health and safety is considered in the performance of all activities both on and off the job. Participation in H & S initiatives will be monitored and reviewed as necessary.
- HSE Certification or CRSP designation is required or must close to completion.
- COR Internal Auditor certification required.
- ISO 9000 certificate is an asset.
- NHSA schooling or certification is an asset.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in similar industry
- Construction industry exposure/ experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Canadian Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Acts and Regulations, with specific knowledge of Ontario.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written, and presentation skills.
- Excellent computer skills; Office 365, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience with Health & Safety software (Salus, SiteDocs, WorkHub, EHS Insight or Intelex, ISN)
Work is in an office environment and field visits are frequently required. A reliable vehicle, clean drivers abstract, and the ability to obtain security clearance is a must.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Please send your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.