(March 19, 2020) – With continued news of the spread of COVID-19 in Ontario, British Columbia, and the rest of the world, the Milestone management team has been reviewing our corporate operational readiness. After reviewing available data and advice provided by the World Health Organization and Health Canada, we have come to the conclusion that our sites will remain operational until further notice.
Milestone is not aware of any confirmed cases within our staff or their families, or any known contact with confirmed cases. We are implementing the World Health Organization’s recommendations on social distancing, which reduces the person to person contact.
Specifically, the following practices will be adopted.
- Avoid gatherings of 50+ people
- Keep the recommended Health Canada personal distance of 2m in social settings
- Avoid handshakes and unnecessary physical contact
- Regularly wash your hands for a minimum of 20 seconds with soap and water
- Eliminate self-serve buffet style eating at social or religious gatherings
- Don’t share food or drinks with others
Do not confuse this with quarantine or isolation, which is not necessary unless you have, or have come into contact with, a confirmed case of COVID-19; or have returned or are returning from outside of the country. The amount to which each individual can practice social distancing will vary based on their circumstance.
In addition to standard safety precautions, there are steps we can take at work to improve our safety as well:
- If you feel sick or someone in your family is sick or is at high risk to infection, notify your manager and develop a strategy to isolate
- Videoconference when possible. Where in person meetings must be held, keep it to mandatory personnel only and maintain social distancing protocols at all times
- Avoid closed-in spaces during meetings in small offices
- Only essential travel should be conducted. Please review with your manager prior to making arrangements
- Provide hand sanitizer when washing stations are not available
Our intention in taking all these precautions is that everyone’s health and safety is our main objective for our business and home life. By taking these measures early, we can ensure the continued health and prosperity of everyone in our industry and our community long-term.
We ask that you please support our efforts by ensuring all workers follow precautionary recommendations. If you do notice that someone is exhibiting symptoms, discuss with your manager, site superintendent, or project manager.
The global effort to slow the spread of COVID-19 is presenting tough choices for business and community leaders. We are all following daily developments closely – prioritizing the health and wellbeing of our employees, colleagues and families while keeping our organization and economies moving forward. We are writing to emphasize our support for you in those efforts.
Please let us know what we can do to support you and your business during this time. We are all in this together, as always. Communication is key.
Wishing you, your families and our colleagues health and happiness.
MILESTONE ENVIRONMENTAL CONTRACTING INC.
Eric Pringle, P.Eng Jeff Kellner
Managing Partner / CEO National Manager / Health and Safety